American and European Values were a series of ten conferences on contemporary philosophy that were held annually since 2004 at the Institute of Philosophy of Opole University, Poland (detailed history of the events here). The main creators of the whole idea were professor John Lachs, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA and dr. Chris Skowronski, Opole University, Opole, Poland.
In 2015 the conference series is being extended into a Berlin edition. Berlin Practical Philosophy International Forum e.V. is proud to organize the event: John Lachs’s Practical Philosophy Conference, August 11-13, 2015.
List of speakers available HERE.
Chris Skowronski, the spiritus movens of the event, has been the co-organizer of all the conferences as well as the co-editor of all the volumes that have been published on these occasions; the volumes consist of the selection of scholarly edited texts presented at the particular editions of the series of the conferences. Each year, Skowronski invites an eminent American scholar to co-organize the given edition, and co-edit the given volume:
- American and European Vaulues X: Philosophy in the Time of Economic Crisis (with Kenneth Stikkers); September 17-20, 2014
- American and European Vaues IX: Richard Rorty and Beyond (with Randall Auxier); July 30-August 2, 2013
- American and European Values VIII: Persuasion and Compulsion in Democracy (with Jacquelyn Kegley); March 30-April 1, 2012
- American and European Values VII: International Conference on George Herbert Mead at 80 Anniversary of His Death (with James Campbell); June 20-24, 2011
- American and European Values VI: William James’s Pragmatism (with John Stuhr); June 22-26, 2010
- American and European Values V. John Dewey at 150: Art, Culture, Society (with Larry Hickman and Krystyna Wilkoszewska); June 23-27, 2009
- American and European Values IV: International Conference on Josiah Royce (with John Lachs, Kelly Parker, and Jason Bell); June 20-24, 2008
- American and European Values III: Charles Sanders Peirce’s Normative Thought (with Nathan Houser); June 26-30, 2007
- American and European Values II: II International Congress on George Santayana (with Angus Kerr-Lawson); June 20-24, 2006
- American and European Values I: A Philosophical Rapprochement (with John Lachs); June 21-24, 2005