Berlin Practical Philosophy International Forum e.V. and the George Santayana Society invite you to participate in an online seminar entitled “The Nature of Spirituality: Santayana and Beyond.”
It will be held on Friday, February 16, 2018, at 21.00 Berlin Time (15.00 New York Time). […]
Today, we often hear people say, “I’m spiritual, but not religious.” I the first half of the twentieth century, George Santayana developed a philosophic system in which spirituality played a fundamental role without any commitment to religious belief. Nevertheless, the precise meaning of spirit, spirituality, and spiritual life in Santayana’s philosophy is the subject matter of debate among Santayana scholars. Beyond that interpretative issue, there is the further question of whether Santayana’s notions of spirit and spiritual life are sufficient – whether they are ideals, conceptual frameworks, or desirable choices for everyone.
Even if you have limited familiarity with Santayana’s work, you will find the discussion thought-provoking and challenging. As the participants include a number of prominent Santayana scholars, the conversation will get quickly to heart of the issues that arise.
An approximate time of the whole event is 90 minutes.
The seminar will use Zoom technology, which allows up to 99 participants.
We will record the meeting and, later, put the video on our website, YouTube, and other digital platforms.
Your computer (or tablet or smartphone) should have the following:
- A strong Internet connection
- A good quality microphone (external ones are often better, though built in microphones have greatly improved during the last several years)
- Headphones or earphones to prevent feedback from the speakers.
- A camera
- Your room should have no echoes or street noise.
- Another thing you might consider is your background. You might, for example, want a bookcase behind you. Try to avoid having anyone behind you enter or leave the room during your participation.
Joining the seminar – no need to preregister
- Link to the seminar room: https://zoom.us/j/938928977 Click this link 15 minutes before in order to install the ZOOM application.
- Time: Friday, February 16, 2018, at 21.00 Berlin Time (15.00 New York Time)
Subscribe to the Berlin Practical Philosophy International Form
If you want to get the email reminder about this online meeting and future Berlin Practical Philosophy International Forum events (you can always unsubscribe with one click), please, subscribe here: